Foster an Author; 20 Questions with JM Walker




Hi Book Talkers! This week Abrianna and I had the opportunity to chat with JM Walker about her books and life as an author. We are featuring JM's novels on the blog all week for Foster an Author 3, but now is your chance to get to know the woman behind it all.


Hi JM!!  Why don't you tell us a little bit about yourself first?
Sure! I never know what to say in these things. Lol! I’ve been self-published since 2013 and I am working on releasing my 26th (I think) novel. It doesn’t feel like that many to be honest with you. I write both contemporary and erotica romance but I tend to stick to the more erotic side of romance.

What has been the best experience so far on your journey as an author?
Meeting readers. That is definitely my favourite thing.

How did you come up with the titles for your books?
Well for Rude, my designer gave me that one. And the rest of them, I wanted strong one syllable words. They kind of just happened.

And the plots for your novels; how do you go about devising them?
I don’t. Lol! I’m a pantser. I will sometimes write out an outline, but my characters tend to change things. I’ll have the character names down and what they look like and a rough idea on where I want the story to go but they control the rest.

Which of your books have been your favorite and your hardest to write and why?
I think Rust has been my most favourite to write. It’s intense. Hot. Super super hot. And it probably has my strongest heroine as well. She and the hero are one and the same so it was fun to write. Numb was by far the hardest book for me to write. I can’t really say if you haven’t read the series thus far but it deals with a subject matter that is probably the toughest for a couple to face.

As an author, what would you choose as your mascot?
A pig. Just because they’re my favourite animal.

Which of your characters is your favorite to write and why?
Oh this is a tough question. But right now, I have to say that Creena Chan and Vincent Stone have been two of my favourites to write. Although, I am working on a new story and…yeah. ;)

Who has inspired you the most?
I think everyone has inspired me in their own way so I can’t choose just one person. But honestly, I couldn’t do half the stuff I do without the support and constant encouragement from my husband.

How has your life changed since you've been published?
I’ve met some of the most amazing people in the history of people! Seriously. This industry is amazing. But this book world has helped bring me out of my shell. It’s helped me grow as a person and it’s a constant reminder why I do what I do.

What is something memorable you have heard from one of your readers/fans?
“I hate you.” It’s one of the best compliments I’ve ever received because my series has made people feel things they weren’t expecting to feel and so on. I also know that this is all said in fun. I did receive a physical award in the mail as well for my birthday entitled “Most Hated Author 2017”.

Have you ever had inspiration hit you at an odd time or place? If so, what do you do?
Yes. While driving. When I reached a red light, I quickly wrote down notes so I wouldn’t forget.

What do you say when people find out you are an author who might write about things others might frown upon?
I’ve written about things that you don’t normally read about. I make sure to slap a bunch of warnings all over the books and honestly, I just hope for the best. I always know that there will be people who won’t like my books or like certain parts of said books but if the story calls for it, I won’t change it.

What advice can you give to any aspiring authors? What do you think are some common traps they should be aware of?
One of my favourite movies has the quote : Write the first draft with your heart and the second with your brain. It’s honestly one of the best pieces of advice I have ever heard and I live by it. I also tell people not to compare themselves to others. It’s hard. But do you. What works for some, may not work for you. This market changes often. What works today may not work tomorrow.

Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest? We love recommendations!
A.J. Daniels. She’s a fellow Canadian author and I’ve gotten to know her while designing and formatting her books. Also, she sent me an excerpt from her book yesterday and it’s insanely hot!

What is your favorite under-appreciated book?
Joseph Fallen by Lily White. She wrote this book under her penname M.S. Willis. If you love dark books, this one is for you. It stuck with me because it made me feel things I had never felt while reading before. It also gave me nightmares.

What is the biggest surprise you have experienced since becoming an author?
People actually want to read my words.
  
How does it feel knowing the Kings Harlots series is coming to an end?
Oh gosh. I don't think it's hit me yet

Now some of the kids will be getting their own stories and there is another side character that will be getting a book as well so that helps but knowing the main couples are done, I'm sad. But again, I don't think it will hit me until I press publish.
  
Can you give us some insight on any other upcoming projects? 
I’m working on two duets at the moment. The one is about the couple in my Torn Trilogy. I promised my readers way back when that they would get another story. So instead of one book, they’re getting two. Possessed by You which is released already, will be re-written in the hero’s POV and they will get a 4th book. The couple is married now with kids but not everything is hunky dory in their world.

AND, the second duet…*sigh*…I don’t think I’ve ever written a hero who is as big as a douche as this guy.

How can your fans and readers find you? 
https://www.facebook.com/jm.walker.author/
jmwalker.author@gmail.com are the best ways to reach me or they can message me on my personal account as well. I always respond to emails and messages.  

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
I love your beautiful faces!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Release; Feeble Connections

Release; Homegrown Hero

Release; Viper